I am back from another great trip to Colorado. One of the things I love most about going home is all the familiar experiences, songs, sounds, etc. from my childhood. At one point I glanced at my parents movie collection and saw the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy." I remember watching it with my parents several times. My dad would laugh so hard.
David and I went by ourselves again. Our flight came in at 10:30 Saturday night. Thanks, Mom, for picking us up so late. Unfortunately the airline lost a piece of the car seat base. We made due with what we had and stopped by Walmart for a temporary fix. It was after midnight when we finally made it home. Fortunately David slept well that night and didn't wake up until 8 Sunday morning.
Sunday was my birthday. I was excited to spend my birthday with my parents. In the past year I have been there to celebrate my mom's birthday, my dad's birthday and my birthday. I feel blessed to have been able to plan my trips this way.
We relaxed Sunday morning and then went to Texas Roadhouse for a birthday lunch. I, of course, had my favorite prime rib. My dad told me if I paid him $10 he wouldn't tell the wait staff that it was my birthday. I didn't pay and he didn't tell. Looks like escaped this time. :-)
After lunch my parents took me shopping for clothes. I bought a few things to keep at their house, so that I don't have to pack anything for myself next time. We also bought a new car seat at Wally World. The new car seat base fits the old car seat which is nice. Once we were home, my mom started making a fabulous carrot cake for my birthday. I had a difficult time holding my self to one piece.
On Monday Dad had the first of 5 dacogen treatments. Mom and I dropped him off and then ran a few errands. I told the girls and Jesse that I would bring some chocolate home from Rocky Mountain Chocolate factory. After we picked up some tasty chocolate treats, we took Cody to the dog park. We walked the loop throwing him the ball a few times and then headed back to the hospital.
Dad wasn't quite done, so Mom held David while I sat with Dad. I could tell the nurses enjoy my dad as they were making jokes about putting him in the corner. I pulled over a chair and shared a candy with my dad. No, it wasn't dairy free but sometimes I need to throw caution to the wind and live in the moment.
We took Dad to the dentist after his infusion and then went home. Dad took a nap and that evening we took the famous "just out of the bath" picture with Dad. David decided that Grandpa's finger looked mighty tasty, so he put it in his mouth. Then he started sucking on the finger. My dad said that it took him by surprise and that David has a strong suck.
That night we had the dreaded funeral discussion. I think we were able to work things out to accomodate everyone. I was truly honored when he said that he wanted to wear the Thursday hat that we had given him. If I get a chance I'm going to take a picture of David in the hat. Then I will make a collage of the kids wearing the hat and slip it into the coffin. It's strange to be thinking of these things. I think I'm also going to design the program. We'll see how that goes.
I went to the airport Monday night to get Chip. I was hoping to talk to him on the way back, but David didn't cooperate. I went to bed shortly after returning home since I had an early morning ahead of me.
Dad took me to the airport early Tuesday morning. I was running a bit late but ended up getting there with some time to spare. I had a great talk with my dad on the way there. There is so much to tell him, but I'm often am too shy to say any of it. Perhaps that's something I can blog later.
Once I was settled at my gate I texted Dad to tell him that we timed it wrong, and I had to actually wait for my flight. He wrote back that he would see me in Chicago. I must admit the I let myself hope that he would actually be there in Chicago when I arrived. In some ways I don't think I will ever grow up and stop dreaming. I'm not sure if I'm going to make it out again, but I truly hope I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment