Monday, April 18, 2011

My Parents

I have a book called Furry Logic Parenthood by Jane Seabrook. It's a cute book that has fun little quips matched with cute drawings of animals. One of my favotite quotes is, "The moment you have children, you forgive your parents ... everything". I have found this to be absolutely true. Along with my kids came a big slice of humble pie. As a parent, I'm also learning to forgive myself, learn from my mistakes and move on. This is harder than one would think.

Looking back now I have a clearer view of all the wonderful gifts my parents have given me. My mom took the time to teach me the basics of reading a recipe and cooking; I can now prepare meals for my family. She also taught me how to use a sewing machine though I'm not sure I will ever sew as well as does. My mom also taught me how to persevere when things get tough.

My dad taught me to try many different hobbies in life. I know I won't be as naturally good at them as he is but I try them none the less. He is also taught me how to take risks.

One of the most precious gifts they gave me was the drive to go to college. It was never a question of if I'll go but where I will go. I think they would have done just about anything to give me the opportunity to go to college. I hope I can instill the same values in my children.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all the nice comments. People, especially my siblings always seem amazed at how well my kids turned out and they say what a great job we did raising them. In reality you and Chip turned out great in spite of everything we did. If ya wanna raise great kids, just have great kids. I think you and Jesse have accomplished that. love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete